Department of Accounting, Chair
Company: Bethune-Cookman University
Location: Daytona Beach
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Sector: College of Business and Entrepreneurship
Job Title: Faculty Department Chair-Accounting
JOB SUMMARY: The department chair report to the Dean of the
Academic College, and serves in administrative and academic
capacities. Responsibilities, in addition to teaching and other
faculty duties, are to assist the academic dean.
- Serves in administrative and academic capacities.
- Certifies the credentials of the faculty teaching in the
- Recommends faculty for hire who are qualified to teach in
accordance with the SACS Criteria for Accreditation.
- Supervises faculty members and students within the specific
- Recommends qualified students for graduation.
- Assigns faculty and student membership to represent the
specific department on standing and ad hoc committees.
- Supervises and assists with design, development, and
implementation of courses and programs of instruction in specific
- Prepares all reports for the Dean for the Department; (i.e.,
Annual Plans, Budgets, Assessment reports, Accountability reports,
Teacher Evaluation Reviews, etc.)
- Reviews and suggests revisions in departmental content of
- Supervises the development of class schedules and faculty
teaching assignments within the department.
- Monitors faculty workloads and class enrollments in accordance
with University regulations.
- Assigns students to academic advisors in the department.
- Assists with selection, evaluation, and development of area
- Though recommendations for tenure normally originate with the
appropriate dean, consideration of a faculty member for tenure may
also be initiated by the Department Chair.
- Manages the financial expenditures for supplies and equipment
for assigned area.
- Assists with appropriate selection of textbooks for courses
within assigned area.
- Convenes department meetings for faculty and students in
- Assists with management of facilities in assigned area.
- Maintains knowledge of all procedures and policies for
designated programs within the College.
- Serves as a clearinghouse for students, faculty, and others
with questions/concerns related to the assigned area.
- Manages grievances from faculty members or students and
attempts to resolve concerns before taking the grievance to the
- Completes other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College,
Vice President for Academic Affairs. And the President of the
- Department chairs received a 1 course (3 hour) reduction in
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Doctorate or Master's degree in the teaching discipline or
master's degree with a concentration in Accounting or closely
related field (minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the
- Evidence of successful teaching at the college level, including
course and curriculum development; evidence of scholarly activity
in the specific area; evidence of active involvement in ongoing
research, including grants and publication.
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to diverse student
populations and ability to contribute to the University's
commitment to enhancing student awareness and appreciation of
diverse ethnic and cultural heritages.
- An active Florida CPA license is preferred.
- Working environment is a normal business office setting.
- Demands normal manual dexterity and visual and auditory
- Must be mobile throughout the campus.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to
assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any
- Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
Appointment of department chairs is not permanent and may rotate
among qualified faculty in the department. Unless specified
otherwise, department chairs hold 10.5-month appointment
Keywords: Bethune-Cookman University, Daytona Beach , Department of Accounting, Chair, Other , Daytona Beach, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!