Dean, College of Natural and Health Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics
Company: Bethune-Cookman University
Location: Daytona Beach
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Dean, College of Natural and Health Sciences, Engineering and
Bethune-Cookman University is seeking an enthusiastic,
innovative, visionary, and student-centered leader to serve as the
Dean of the College of Natural and Health Sciences, Engineering and
Mathematics. The Dean is expected to provide academic leadership in
program and curriculum development, teaching, research/scholarship
and the vital development of external support and fundraising.
As the Academic and Administrative officer for the College of
Natural and Health Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics, the Dean
reports directly to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs
and will be responsible for the strategic, programmatic and
financial operations of the College. The Dean leads and executes
strategic planning in alignment with the University's Strategic
Plan. In addition, the Dean is expected to work collaboratively
with department chairs to promote shared governance as well as to
supervise the administrative team.
The ideal candidate for this position must successfully engage
and work well with faculty, staff, students, fellow administrators,
and community members in building a vision for the college
emphasizing academic excellence. Also, the next Dean should possess
a record of academic administrative excellence, multi-disciplinary
teaching collaboration, and provide a rich research environment for
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of
the various types of work that may be performed by the next Dean of
- Administer policies of the university and college, respond to
faculty concerns, and evaluate employee performance.
- Assist the departments in making curriculum decisions and
establishing priorities based on assessment data.
- Effective supervision of, employee-employer relationships, and
management of a unit.
- Ensure compliance with accreditation standards.
- Foster excellence in teaching, scholarship, and research,
including supporting the professional growth and development of
faculty and staff.
- Planning, managing and directing committees, and program
- Maintain a broad vision for the college regarding campus-wide
academic, developing faculty, staff, and student outcomes, and
growth plans in collaboration with Academic Affairs and assisting
department chairs in the fulfillment of departmental
- Prepare and administer the college budget.
- Provide leadership in the development and meaningful assessment
of student learning outcomes (SLOs).
- Serve as a spokesperson for the College and as a liaison
between the College and other divisions of the University,
including interacting with other deans within the Division of
Academic Affairs to build a strong collaborative culture.
- Support and encourage grantsmanship through faculty development
mechanisms within the college and pursue external funding
possibilities, especially federally funded grants.
- Work effectively on program, policy and procedures development
with faculty and administrators.
- Perform other duties utilizing similar skills and abilities,
related to the accomplishment of the essential functions, as
assigned by the administration.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Candidates for Dean of CNHSEM must hold a PhD (or equivalent),
or appropriate terminal degree, and experience as a full-time
- Five years of progressively responsible academic administrative
experience at department-level or higher.
- A distinguished record of teaching, research/scholarship and
service to qualify for tenure in a College department including
recent evidence of presentations at national/international
conferences and publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Previous experience in developing academic programs,
curriculum, and grants.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise group leadership skills that
emphasize collaboration, consensus building, conflict resolution
and problem solving.
- Ability to promote high-quality teaching, scholarship, service
and professional activities.
- Ability to motivate personnel within the school to be committed
to students' success.
- Ability to articulate and communicate a vision for the
- Active in national and international academic
- Excellent time management, planning and organizational skills
and strategies in the context of demanding and time-intensive
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication, including
public speaking and complex reports.
- Experienced in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Proficiency in the use of a variety of computer software and
databases and technology related to student and other educational
- Strong commitment to supporting the diverse needs of each
- Strong interpersonal skills with a commitment to support public
and private fundraising.
- Strong organizational skills.
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, national and ethnic origin, sex, retaliation, marital
status, religion or disability, or any other applicable local,
state or federal regulation. Inquiries regarding provisions for
persons with disabilities, equal employment opportunity and Title
IX matters should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at
Keywords: Bethune-Cookman University, Daytona Beach , Dean, College of Natural and Health Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics, Other , Daytona Beach, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!